Thursday, 24 September 2009

"Here Comes The Bride, All Dressed In.... PINK!?"

First published September 6th '09

I've just written my last blog all about how it gets ya down planning a wedding. But for those eagle eyed few of you, you may have noticed I only briefly mentioned a certain dress I had spotted. Thats because I fancied writting a new blog about my potential outfit. Allow me this indulgence.

Firstly, let me explain this dress. It is awsome. Not very expensive, very flattering for the, errr, "less petite" among us, and made of the softest silk I think Ive ever felt. Not that I go around feeling silk as a hobby or anything. Anyway, I digress...

As I have already mentioned, it has a downside of sorts. Its not white. It comes in either fuschia pink or deep red. And I adore both. Red is a very wintery colour, so I think I'll give that one a miss. Plus, my bridesmaids are in black.... we don't want to look like goths/ Dennis the Menace Chic now do we?! Although, there is a time I would have loved that...

Shut up brain.

Anyway, the pink one was so lovely. My theme is going to be Fuschia and Lime, (or pink and green, for those of you who have never spent time looking at Dulux Colour Cards....). So it makes sense for me to wear pink. But I don't want to look like Im at some sort of Prom. Its the only day I am allowed to wear white, and everyone will expect me to. I know, I know.... You are all tutting, saying to yourself "Since when did Jenn do what was expected?!". But surely you ladies know what I mean. I should wear white. Right?

Hmmm, after a bit of research, Ive found out that colour says a lot.

"Black depicts formal, modern, sexy, and sophisticated." - Thats not for me then. But my bridesmaids will look very fetching I must say.

"Blue calls for calmness, tranquility" - Forget that!

"Brown makes you feel comfortable, warm, and cozy" - I like the sound of that. But this is not the 70s. I wouldn't wear brown if you paid me, lets be honest here.

"Green represents wealth, money, nature, environment, fertility, growth, re-birth, victory, healing, abundant, and renewable" - You had me at "Wealth"....

"Orange stands for energy, sun, warmth and comfortable" - And Tango....

"Pink symbolizes the femininity, admiration, love, pretty, spring, gentleness, harmony, fidelity, and sensuality. It is an innocent, sweet, and soft color. Pink is usually used in wedding dresses, wedding invitations, and wedding flowers. The only bad image is breast cancer awareness in which most people will not consider as bad image." - Why say its a bad image then?! Anyway, back to the point in hand.... Yes, pink does symbolise these things. And I like that. One point scored for pink there.

"Purple shows nobility, royalty, luxury, authority, creativity, inspiration, and spirituality" - Nah

"Red creates excitement as red raises blood pressure. Red also symbolizes love, passion, sex, and power. Hence, we like to give red roses to show a strong affection of love. Life, vitality, celebrations, and gifts are associated with red. The negative images about red are blood, war, danger, fire, and anger." - What do you mean, "negative images"?! That sums up our relationship perfectly...

"Yellow is a happy, joyful, cheerful, and hopeful color." - it is also the colour of Big Bird from Sesame Street. No dice.

"White is one of the neutral colors which are common in wedding dress, flowers, and attire. White is also associated with purity, innocence, cleanliness, and virtue. Think of snow, winter, and peace as wedding themes. Today, it symbolizes crisp, clean, and luxurious. On the other hand, the white is a symbol of death for eastern countries and ghost for western countries. The caskets are usually covered in white, while the ghosts are usually visualized in floating white sheet." - I'll just higlight a few words here that concern me.... "Common". "Death". "Ghosts". "Caskets". Need I go on. Own goal from White there, nil point.

So what have we learnt? That pink is the colour of love, and green the colour of wealth. That brown and yellow are non starters for obvious reasons, and white symbolises death.

By pink, I mean hot pink, fuschia.... or "Summer Suprise 4" if you believe the Dulux Colour Cards. Not baby pink, or Jordan pink. Im not talking about garish...

No, No, NO!

I think ive just talked myself into buying that pink dress.

Taxi, to Meadowhall... and don't spare the horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment