First published September 14th '09
Finally made a decision. Tom said it was "up to me" where we got married, and he didn't care where, as long as it made me happy. Aww, bless. But I would have bet that he would have retracted that statment if I'd said "Gretna Green". We had a few choices though...
1) A church in Sheffield. Aaaah Sheffield. The home of picturesque churches and glamourous reception rooms. Oh wait, thats not true. All the churches are next to schools, so they're surrounded by barbed wire and - worse - children. Lovely(!) Even the old parish church where I went to primary school - where my own parents were married - has turned into a mess. Big, ugly wire fences are not what you want the first impression of your wedding to be. And children peering at you like a dog has broken into the playground? No thanks.
Plus, the church I am talking about has a website..... sponsored by "CatholicSingles.com". Good grief.
2) A registry office in Sheffield. Now Im sure they're very nice inside.... its just the outside that worries me. Town is a bugger to navigate around at the best of times, so I cannot expect my groom to be on time if hes stuck in traffic around the Ponds Forge roundabout! Thats before we even get onto my dads time keeping....
3) Gretna Green. And before you all tut and quote the words "Kerry Katona" at me, I will tell you three things. (1) it is well within budget if we go there. (2) it is absolutly gorgeous up there. We've seen a nice little place called The Mill Forge, which is so pretty I can't believe the small price of it. (3) The laws up there are much more simple to navigate. Ive trawled the internet for help and advice on marriage licenses and all the rest of it, Ive even asked married couples for advice.... but nobody seems willing to help. So if Im doing this on my own, its going to be the simplest, non-complicated and cheapest way I can find. Gretna offers this. This is before we even mention the fact that we've decided that our honeymoon will be in Glen Coe (Scotland), so its near enough for us not to have to travel too far. Perfect, so you would think...
But there are obvious problems with Gretna. For a start, its a bit pointless inviting anyone, because we can't expect people to come all the way to Scotland just for a poxy wedding (not my words by the way...). I know I would be a bit cheesed off if I had to go all that way, especially on a weekday.
And the other problem is... well.... there are none, actually. If we get married in Sheffield, it would cost us twice as much as if we go to Gretna, and thats including travel costs. Also, Tom and I are quite shy (I know, I know.... you're all tutting and thinking "Well why set up a website?" Well, my answer to that would be because I read somewhere on 'Teh Interwebs' that it was The Done Thing in this here century) so a private ceremony would be perfect for us.
Its a thinker, thats for sure. Anyway, thats whats been occuring this week in my wedding planning. More soon.
PS: Also, about that pink dress I told you about, its not an option anymore. I've not gone off it, its just the shop I saw it in has since shut down. Brilliant(!) The search continues...
Thursday, 24 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment